Re: [OM] Pythons in Florida

Subject: Re: [OM] Pythons in Florida
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 07:55:48 -0500
We've had cane toads (called simply "bufos" from Bufo marinus) in
Florida since the late 50s.  When I lived on the east coast from 85-95 I
used to kill 1-2/week and sometimes as many as 1/2 dozen.  Deadly to
dogs.  I don't think the cane toads are going to eat the snakes but I
would hope that a snake eating a cane toad might kill both of them. :-)

 From the Florida portion of the Wiki article:
"Initial releases into Florida failed. Attempted introductions before
1936 and 1944, made with the objective of controlling sugarcane pests,
were unsuccessful as the toads failed to proliferate. Later attempts
failed in the same way. However, the toad gained a foothold in the state
after an accidental release by an importer at Miami International
Airport in 1957, and deliberate releases by animal dealers in 1963 and
1964 established the toad in other parts of Florida. Today, the cane
toad is well established in the state, from the Florida Keys to north of
Tampa, and they are gradually extending further northward. In Florida,
the toad is a regarded as a threat to both native species and to pets,
so much so that the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
recommends that residents euthanize them"

The Wiki article says they have spread to north of Tampa but I've never
seen one yet on the west coast.

This past year it has become legal to hunt Burmese and other pythons in
Florida as long as one holds a normal hunting license and a special
permit for certain areas of the state.  The state specifically says the
meat and skin may be used or sold but recommends not using the meat from
certain areas of the 'glades.  Snakes and gators from some areas of the
'glades have a high mercury content in their meat.  Gator hunting is
also allowed but with rather severe restrictions on permits and hunting
methods (can't shoot 'em with a normal gun)

Chuck Norcutt