Re: [OM] Spotted 28/2 and 50/1.4 for sale

Subject: Re: [OM] Spotted 28/2 and 50/1.4 for sale
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 15:27:19 -0600
> What if it came down to a choice between 3:2 and 4:3 in FF?  16+ MP.

I've really got mixed feelings about that. I love 4:3 for portraiture
and most event activity. Nothing worse than shooting a group
photograph intended for 8x10 and you've screwed yourself by having the
people too close to the edges. Portraiture is so great because a 5x7
and 8x10 are just slight variations of the 4:3 format. It's snuck
right in between. I've crashed and burned a few times through the
years with my 3:2 cameras shooting group shots. I have no realistic
expectation that I won't do it again.

For landscapy shots, I like 3:2 more for horizontals, but 4:3 more for
verticals. It just has to do with how the final print ends up getting
cropped. My verticals are much more square, but my horizontals are
much more letterbox. Ideally, I'd just shoot square and be done with
it.

16 MP is probably adequate for now, but I hold onto this stuff so long
that it would be nice to be a little more state-of-the-art than that
at this point. Otherwise, getting a used 5Dmk2 would be fine, but a 5D
Mk3 would hold value much better, longer.

> There's a road that was about 30 miles of gravel through a forest west
> of Marquette.  My brother says that it is now paved.  Something lost,
> something gained.  I'm ready to see it again through nothing but Zuikos.

Yes. one road goes NW up to the Huron Mountain Club. Quite the
interesting story about M-35, the club and Henry Ford. There are a
number of old logging roads and so forth in that area west of
Marquette. (Marquette had/has an incredible Thai restaurant. A small
take out place that KNOWS how to make it deadly hot.

I agree about the 5D Mk2 being the minimum. At this point, though, it
would make just as much sense to get the latest/greatest and not worry
about keeping up with the Wilcox/Scales for a while. (I wonder if Tom
will drive his 4WD tonight?)

> The E-1's histogram toggle, so maligned back
> in the day, seems like genius now for its simplicity and usefulness.

Wierd, but really good. The other manufacturers are just now figuring
out that people are satisfied with the camera returning to last used
setting with a single push of a button. It was brilliant but
convoluted. A bit too brainy for the average reviewer. No different,
really, than the AF mode switch on the corner of the body. Highly
railed against, but perfect for gloved winter operation.

AG