Re: [OM] OM-D specs!

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-D specs!
From: "Chris Trask" <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 11:29:48 -0700

> >    Well, nothing to get excited about.  Flash synchro is maxxed out at
> > 1/250 with bundled flash (no built-in flash).  Imaging sensor is 16.9M.
> >  Hot shoe flash attachment.  No cable remote connection.  Minimum ISO
> > is 200.
>
> There are enough omissions to drive a truck through, but at what point
have
> we reached a point of sufficiency?

    That may very likely be the case.  Moving forward is one thing, but I
don't see any significant forward motion here.

> Sensor is evolutionary upgrade, but with a few new nifty tricks. As I
> said before, we don't buy Olympus for the specifications.

    No, we don't.  I've stayed with it for over 35 years now, mostly because
of durability, reliability, and flexibility.  Like staying with Toyota.  I
won't get excited about sensors until I see 32M at the same price as 12M.
The difference will be that going from 8M in the E-500 to 32M means twice as
many pixels in both directions.

> I can live with 1/250 sync. For the vast majority of my photography, a
> sensor in the high teens is adequate. The minimum normal ISO of 200 is
> bothersome, but it hasn't stopped Nikon from selling zillions of cameras.

    The 1/250 sync is a bit of an improvement as the E-500 etc. is limited
to 1/160, though I've not encountered any problems.  I just add an ND filter
to make the adjustment.

    Are we simply looking at a camera whose ony significant feature is a
return to the "OM-xxx" model numbering for legacy recognition?

    Inquiring BTE operating systems want to know.

Chris