Re: [OM] OM-D specs!

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-D specs!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 10:36:47 -0800
On 2/7/2012 9:08 AM, Chris Trask wrote:
> ...   Yawn!

Probably so. An interesting ploy on Oly's part, though. If they get the details
right, it could be a niche success.

Build in a table of OM Zuikos so you select the lens, then a connection for a
new adapter that reads aperture and
activates stop down and you capture all the remaining old OM junkies. Seems
unlikely, but we will soon know.

>      Maybe this will put more E-510/520 bodies out on the used/eBay market
> and bring the price down.

Neither comment nor criticism; just simple curiosity.

Why E510/20? When I have occasionally caught E-thingie fever, I have always
thought the E-620 to be the most desirable
non "Pro" body.

In addition to other, mostly minor, but still significant, improvements, the
520 brings an articulated screen to the
three digit bodies. An articulated screen for live view is just the cat's
pajamas for nature work. For many shots, set
the tripod up lower than required for eye level viewing and twist the LCD up
for viewing. For really low stuff, avoid
getting down and dirty - literally - to get the right angle and still see to
focus. Shoot straight up, or close to it,
without neck strain.

Better angles, lower average tripod height for quicker use and greater
stability, less wear and tear on my body,
steadier eye and hand on the camera - what's not to love?

from the DPreview test:

.. the E-620 seems to address some of the main shortcomings of the E-520 - the
viewfinder is slightly larger and has
been reworked so that the information panel appears below the view screen,
rather than tucked-away off to the right. It
also moves on from the old three-point AF system with the introduction of a
seven-point version, which includes five
cross-type sensors. In fact, the specification of the E-620 is so high that it
makes as much sense for us to compare it
to Olympus's semi-pro body, the E-30, as to the company's existing entry-level
models.

The E-620 is, overall, smaller than the E-520 that sits below it in the
E-system hierarchy, while offering a slightly
larger viewfinder plus a selection of the features we first saw in the
considerably more expensive E-30.

Compared to E-30 - key differences

When the E-30 was launched, we commented that it sailed remarkably close to E-3
territory, and with a smaller viewfinder
and less grand claims made about environmental sealing and image stabilization.
The E-620 comes close to pulling the
same trick on the E-30; again the size of the viewfinder is smaller, but the
cameras share the same 12 megapixel sensor,
Truepix III+ processing and a great many other features. The differences
between the two cameras are easier to list than
the similarities:

  * E-620 is smaller (by around 1cm in each dimension) and around 180g lighter
(body only)
  * Slightly smaller viewfinder with reduced frame coverage (0.96x, 95%, vs.
1.02x, 98%)
  * 7-point AF (5 cross-type) vs. 11-point (all cross-type)
  * Improved LCD (Hypercrystal III, vs. E-30s' version II unit)
  * Only one control dial (vs. E-30's two)
  * Slower continuous shooting rate (4fps for 5 RAW frames, vs. 5fps for 12)
  * Fewer aspect ratio crops (3 vs. 8)
  * No built-in digital level gauge
  * Only allows two exposures to be overlaid in multi-exposure mode (vs. 4)
  * No PC flash sync or DC-in sockets
  * Slower x-sync (1/180 sec vs. 1/250 sec) and max shutter speed (1/4000 sec
vs. 1/8000 sec)
  * Lower capacity BLS-1 battery (7.2V 1150 mAh) vs. BLM-1 (7.2V 1500 mAh)

Curious Moose