Re: [OM] Lens/partial system/full system testing

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens/partial system/full system testing
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 17:24:10 -0600
> Like you, I rely on my wife to point out when I am wrong. ;~)

She's sufficiently skilled at it. She gets plenty of opportunity.

I'm going to try the E-1 files again with some fine-tuned settings. I
think Moose is right that there really isn't enough pixels to work
with. But I think it also has a lot to do with the conversion engine.
Anything that comes from Olympus converters post-processes much better
than other processors. ACR (the older version) do pretty well, but
anything DCRAW based tends to choke a little.

I mentioned my 0.7 radius sharpening. On both the E-1 and DMC-L1
files, this does a good job of whacking the AA filter blurring. Any
wider and I get halos. With 0.7 I can crank the level of sharpening
almost to the very top. This is a setting I do as quickly as possible
because fixes the inherent loss caused by the AA filter and 4-pixel
mix.

This is part of the venerated 3-pass sharpening. Get your
pixel-sharpening done first, then the image sharpening to correct the
image itself then output sharpening.

AG