Re: [OM] Ilford HP-5

Subject: Re: [OM] Ilford HP-5
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 09:28:00 -0600
Thank you, Bill, for the nice plug. Yes, I really do appreciate it.
www.zone-10.com has turned out to pretty much be a labor of love. This
summer it will have been five years. Fortunately, revenues from the click
ads and buy throughs cover the server and domain fees, but that's about it.
The Google Adsense revenues have been actually very good. I think I'm up to
an average of $0.50 a day...

Michel and Candace's articles are giving me some good relief from having to
always come up with content and I have another guy in the wings, but
without Khen, it's no longer the same thing. Those mega reviews drove a lot
of traffic. BTW, were at about 2 million visitors. (not pageviews or hits,
but visitors).

As to HP5+, thanks for the tidbit. I'll be ordering some for myself at that
price. My preference is Delta 400, but when processed in Ilfotec DD-X, HP5+
and Delta 400 are nearly interchangeable. Delta 400 is more pushable, but
when shot at ISO 400'ish, they are pretty much the same. Delta 400 has a
bit more base fog which helps a lot with the highlights when using a
columninated enlarger, but for diffusion-head enlargers, they are about
identical.

One thing I do enjoy about HP5+ is how it responds to color filters. A Red
filter will really darken the sky. More so than with some other films. It
doesn't have the extended near-IR response of Delta 400, so skintones are a
touch darker. I ONLY process this film in DD-X. Everything else makes it a
bit more grainy. DD-X is also a true film-speed developer and not a
contrast developer. You can shoot the film at box speed and push/pull with
DD-X. HP5+ will go to 800 without any problem, but 1600 gets kinda nasty
whereas Delta 400 at 1600 is still excellent. Most of my Delta 400 has been
shot at 800.

In this brave new world of the OM-D, let's not forget the REAL OM system. A
"traditional" film like HP5+, processed DD-X and enlarger printed or
scanned is still a mighty fine combination and a ton less expensive than a
new $1000 camera.

AG