Re: [OM] Friday flowering tree

Subject: Re: [OM] Friday flowering tree
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 08:32:53 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

> The weather here has been distressingly lovely this winter.
> Distressing because we depend on the winter snow pack for
> summer and fall water.

     We are noticeably dry down here in the southwest.  Our last "real" rain
was 15 December, and all other opportunities have disappeared as they come in
contact with high pressure to the south and west.  Snow pack in the Upper
Colorado basin is 75% or more below normal, in many instances only 25% of
normal.

     We had hopes for a good wildflower season, but now we are scrambling to
view what little is blooming at the moment, and this may be all that we have
for this season.

     Seeds are not viable forever, and if this trend continues much longer we
will see the soil seed bank diminish greatly, then it will take many good
seasons before it is replenished.

> A neighbor's flowering cherry seen through a 'window' in the foliage in front
> of our house.
> <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Home/Miscellaneous&image=_MG_5447croof15.jpg>

     It's VERY unusual to see a cherry tree blooming this time of year, more
than a month early.

Chris