[OM] OT: Changing socks often enough? was Re: OT: Daft

Subject: [OM] OT: Changing socks often enough? was Re: OT: Daft
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 21:27:28 +0000
Yes, that's right, Moose: make me feel consumerist and profligate :-)  Oh, and
I should worry about your socks, by the way :-)

The S100 is a very clever little camera ; I discovered yesterday that you can
set the zoom length in the Portrait mode, using the lens ring control.  Thank
you for introducing me to the little device.  I've not yet found a use for the
GPS (I don't use the logger function), so I might leave it off.

I took some party shots on Friday, to test its party-calibre.  I cheated
somewhat by using a slave flash, but it was placed only roughly to one side to
reduce the shadows by a smidgeon.  You can see where some undue shadows
occurred because I was not careful enough with placing the slave:

https://picasaweb.google.com/flyulas/ValentineSParty?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCNSJg6j_mqTd8QE&feat=directlink

The first shot struck me as nicely sharp, but there was some variability after
that, probably because of my attempts at spontaneity.  I had to remain sober as
I was the duty "adult", so I didn't put it to the slightly-drunk-operator test,
but overall it passed the party test.

I rather fancy having only that and the K-5, so I'm not totally decided on
buying the GX1.  And whatever happens the G12 will have to go, although it is
sad to lose the articulated display.

On holsters: I have a small Crumpler bag for the S100 and another for the K-5;
for me that's the only way to be comfortable but still to have a camera ready
to use.

Chris
[slightly chastened]