[OM] [OT] Coconut oil for Alzheimer's, was: My friends Ted & Carolyn

Subject: [OM] [OT] Coconut oil for Alzheimer's, was: My friends Ted & Carolyn
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 13:21:28 -0500
Thanks all for compliments on the photo of Ted & Carolyn.  Not long
after I took this shot I received some information from my brother
(regarding my dad who had some dementia as well) about a doctor (not far
away here in Florida) who treats her husband's Alzheimer's with coconut
oil!  I thought it sounded wacko at first but, as I dug into it, I
discovered there is a possibly valid reason behind it.  I summarized
what I had discovered and forwarded that info along with a number of
related links to Ted & Carolyn.  The following is the majority of the
email I sent them.

If you find the idea seemingly ridiculous I don't blame you but would
urge that you read at least the short PDF by Dr. Newhart in the first
link.  Pay special attention to the clock drawings by her husband (a
standard Alzheimer's test).  Coconut oil is cheap and initial results
are claimed to be seen within weeks.  Even if it's not true one can't be
led far down the rosy path before realizing it.  AFAIK, Dr. Newhart
doesn't own any coconut tree plantations in the Philippines.  :-)

My brother sent some information about possible Alzheimer's treatment
today to me and my sister relative to my dad.  The information concerns
Dr. Mary Newhart a medical doctor in Spring Hill, Florida (just above
Tampa) and her husband who has well advanced Alzheimer's.

Dr. Newhart runs a clinic for premature babies but has been studying and
researching Alzheimer's for many years now and in 2008 discovered a
patent filing describing the use of medium chain triglycerides oil (MCT
oil) as a treatment for Alzheimer's.  The biochemical rationale for this
is the suspicion that the actual death of brain cells in Alzheimer's has
to do with insulin resistance within the brain such that there is
insufficient insulin within the brain to drive glucose into the cells.
Consequently the brain cells die of energy starvation.  But it's also
possible for our cells to derive energy from what are called "ketone
bodies".  In fact, the brain would much rather get its energy from
ketone bodies than glucose.  Ketone bodies can be produced by the body
naturally when, for example, on an extremely low carbohydrate diet. They
can also be produced when you consume MCT oil which was the basis of the
patent application.  The idea is that consuming MCT oil provides a
"back-channel" way for the brain to get energy that's being denied due
to insulin resistance.

Dr. Newhart's inspiration was to realize that coconut oil is about 60%
MCT oil.  Consequently, she started feeding her husband coconut oil on a
regular basis and he has seen a dramatic improvement... not just a
slowing of the progression due to Aricept and another drug he was taking.

I'm including a link here to a paper she has written which you might
find a little tough sledding in places but nevertheless, very
interesting reading. <http://www.coconutketones.com/whatifcure.pdf>

Dr. Newhart also has a website
<http://www.coconutketones.com/biography.html>

She has also recently written a book
<http://www.amazon.com/Alzheimers-Disease-What-There-Cure/dp/1591202930/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329617363&sr=1-1>

There is also an interview with her on YouTube (in 2 parts)
part I
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iScs0uzQZFk>
part II
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_676688&src_vid=iScs0uzQZFk&v=LOrDIixbGMs>

And, finally, a video by an Australian couple where the husband was
suffering from early onset Alzheimer's.  They discovered the use of
coconut oil from Dr. Newhart and the husband also has seen dramatic
recovery from where he was (not as bad initially as Dr. Newhart's
husband) <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMw3d3ohx_s&feature=related>

Anyhow, I know this stuff probably seem too fantastic to be true (and
maybe it is) but I can't see any reason not to try it.  When you read
Dr. Newhart's paper you will see that her husband made very significant
improvements first in 2 weeks after starting the coconut oil and again
when he was evaluated again after 37 days (evaluation using the clock
drawing tests)

I'm praying it works for the both of you.  Maybe I'll start taking it
myself.

Chuck Norcutt