Re: [OM] [OT] Coconut oil for Alzheimer's (slightly long)

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Coconut oil for Alzheimer's (slightly long)
From: "Chris Trask" <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 16:17:31 -0700

> > > Thanks all for compliments on the photo of Ted & Carolyn.  Not long
> > > after I took this shot I received some information from my brother
> > > (regarding my dad who had some dementia as well) about a doctor (not
far
> > > away here in Florida) who treats her husband's Alzheimer's with
coconut
> > > oil!  I thought it sounded wacko at first but, as I dug into it, I
> > > discovered there is a possibly valid reason behind it.

     <<SNIP>>

> >      That's interesting.  I wonder if you can use coconut oil in place
of
> > vegetable oil in cooking?
>
> Yes, you can use coconut oil for cooking.  That's how much of the Asian
> world does their cooking, especially the Philippines.  It can also take
> fairly high heat before smoking.

     A similar property of peanut oil.

> The idea of using coconut oil as a treatment for Alzheimer's is based on
> the idea of insulin resistance in the brain that makes it difficult for
> brain cells to take in glucose.  No glucose for energy and they die.
> Coconut oil is composed of 60% medium chain triglycerides oil (MCT oil)
> which the body easily converts to ketone bodies and may be immediately
> absorbed by cells for energy without requiring glucose.  Thus coconut
> oil can feed the brain regardless of the insulin resistance.

     Jim later pointed out that we used coconut oil in foods until after
WWII.  At the same time that we reduced the use of coconut oil, we began
using more preservatives.  That may be an issue in itself.

     But there may be a parallel going back to the 19th century.  It was
found that the incidence of goiter increased as populations were further
from the oceans, meaning they consumed less seafood.  The short story is
that iodine was added to table salt to replace the iodine that was lost
due to dietary changes, and the incidence of goiter decreased.  Hence
the overall success of Morton.

     In addition, Native American populations, especially those here in
the southwest, have a very high incident of diabetes, which is known to
be a result of genetic heredity.  European peoples developed over
millenia with diets that were high in carbohydrates, so they evolved
body chemistries that absorbed the carbohydrates and converted them to
needed sugars and fat.

     Native Amercans in the southwest consumed many plants that have
chemicals similar to insulin, so they did not evolve along the same
lines.  When Europeans moved in and then dominated the area, Native
Americans were herded on reservations and given wheat and other
commodities that their bodies could not digest because their bodies
would not produce the needed insulin to make up for what they were
used to ingesting from native plants.  Now we are seeing a dramatic
increase of diabetes in people of European heritage, primarily
attributed to a diet high in sugar and carbohydrates.

     Here's my point:  When populations consumed less seafood, the
lack of dietary iodine resulted in an increase in goiter, and that was
corrected by adding iodine to table salt.  And now we are experiencing
an increase in Alzheimer's and possibly diabetes that may be attributed
to a decrease in another essential food element.  And not just coconut
oil, but possibly fish oil as well.  What is the common element of
these two foods that is lacking in our current dietary regime, and how
do we restore it?

Chris