[OM] IMG: Last of the cactus-fest

Subject: [OM] IMG: Last of the cactus-fest
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 18:46:46 -0800
The final group from my trip to Arizona last moth. Most are from a hike
in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve on the outskirts of Scottsdale. Enjoy,
and don't get stuck!

My wife Katya doing a passable rendition of Lauren Bacall's "The Look":
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/6898831871/lightbox>

Cactus medley:
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/6898902857/lightbox>

How the Pod People reproduce:
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/6898903207/in/photostream/>
Cholla is beautiful when backlit, but it's really nasty stuff. The
slightest touch causes a fist-sized piece to break off and stick to
you.  It appears to have jumped on you, hence the nickname "jumping
cactus." The spines are barbed, so they don't come out easily. The
cactus propagates to new locations by sticking to passing animals or
people. See the little knobs of cactus that fell on the ground? They may
take root where they fall, or hitch a ride on a hiking boot.

A backlit saguaro and distant hills (with 90/3.5 VC Lanthar):
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/6898902513/lightbox>

Ocotillo and nearby hills:
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/6898902263/lightbox>

A nice vista of the saguaro forest (yeah, they call it a forest!):
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/6898831635/sizes/o/in/photostream/>
View the above bigger if you have a wide screen:
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/6898831635/sizes/o/in/photostream/>

And my cousin Stu on a less wild walk the next day
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/6898903353/lightbox>

M8, 35/2 Summicron IV except where noted.
--Peter