[OM] Museum, Overhaul or Fruit Cake

Subject: [OM] Museum, Overhaul or Fruit Cake
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 11:40:20 -0600
Last night I was given an old OM-1. It's a non-MD body, so it would
date to 1973. No focus screen and it has prism rot. Obviously, the
light seals and mirror foam are long since gummed away and turned to
powder. Don't know about the meter, since it had no battery. I think
I'm the fourth or fifth person to get it as it has been passed around
like a fruit cake. I suspect it's been handed around for more than a
few years.

Overall condition isn't too bad. No dents, nicks and just standard
scratches from minimal use. Both speed governers in the shutter are
working good and everything else, including the timer, appears fine. A
good cleaning and it should shine up nicely. The leatherette is in
good condition too.

So, the question is what to do with it. I'm not likely to put it into
use since I've got a fleet of other cameras that do OTF and
multi-spot. I am starting a little display shelf of cameras. Maybe it
could go on that along with a couple other retired or semi-retired
cameras. If so, do I keep it in current condition or send it off for
overhaul? Do I do my own overhaul? Do I give it away to another list
member who wants it? Do I donate it to somebody else who has a museum
shelf?

I realize that no self-grandising OM geek should be without an OM-1.
Next year, this beasty will be 40 years old. It's getting to the point
where it should start becoming a collector item. But so many were
produced that it may be many decades before it has any worth. Even so,
it would be more sentimental value than anything.

Really, I think the only thing wrong with it is the prism rot and ALL
of the foam. The meter is an unknown, but chances are it's fine. Can't
tell if somebody took the cover off in an attempt to fix the prism,
but I suspect that a simple attempt was made to figure it out since
the focus screen is missing.

So questions to the group:

1. Keep it or give it away?
2. If I keep it, do I overhaul, self-overhaul or shelve it as-is?
3. If I give it away, anybody interested in it?

AG (yes, it's chrome) Schnozz