Re: [OM] Museum, Overhaul or Fruit Cake

Subject: Re: [OM] Museum, Overhaul or Fruit Cake
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 13:50:44 -0800
On 2/20/2012 9:40 AM, Ken Norton wrote:

> Really, I think the only thing wrong with it is the prism rot and ALL
> of the foam. The meter is an unknown, but chances are it's fine. Can't
> tell if somebody took the cover off in an attempt to fix the prism,
> but I suspect that a simple attempt was made to figure it out since
> the focus screen is missing.
>
> So questions to the group:
>
> 1. Keep it or give it away?

I think you are stuck with it, As you say, an OM touter really needs at least
on original OM-1, if not an M-1. As
someone who in a promoter of use, vs. collection, I think an OM-1 is sufficient.

> 2. If I keep it, do I overhaul, self-overhaul or shelve it as-is?

You've campaigned against shelf queens too long to take up your own. In light
of #1, you really must make it usable, and
use it once a year. :-)

> 3. If I give it away, anybody interested in it?

Not here, dood! I still have my own original chrome, non-MD OM-1, which is
still functional. Mine also suffered prism
guck. I simply cleaned and polished the affected areas. The prism works rather
well anyway, with only a ghost of a line
where it transitions from coated to uncoated. I do have a clean prism sitting
next to it, but haven't made the replacement.

I can provide a free, clean prism, if you want one.

BTW, the MD and non-MD models were sold (and made, I seem to recall) at
overlapping times, at different prices, for at
least a couple of years. Mine is non-MD for the reasons of limited funds at the
time and certainty that I would not be
using a winder or MD anytime soon. As it turned out, I was correct, having
bought an OM-2n long before acquiring a winder.

The only semi sure ways to date one are the length of the pressure plate and
the factory/date code on the back of it.
Both assume that back and/or pressure plate haven't been changed. Mine may be
dated accurately, as I am the original
owner and know it has the original back with original, short, pressure plate.
It was assembled in June, 1973. Not that
long before it will be 40 years old. :-)

Occasionally OM Moose