Re: [OM] Friday flower

Subject: Re: [OM] Friday flower
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 20:06:16 -0800
On 2/21/2012 8:28 AM, Fernando Gonzalez Gentile wrote:
> I didn't think of the "Here Comes The Flood" ...
> as an outstanding series because it has tons of post-processing.
> So, I hadn't shown them before at the List.
> But in fact, I couldn't have done it without a cheap but weather-proof
> camera (Stylus 720 SW).

Personally, I am quite camera and processing agnostic. I'm always interested in
equipment and technique, because I am
interested in tools that allow me to get the images I desire.

But once an image exists, my reaction to the image is only to the image, not
how it came to be. I may be interested in
some of those details so that I may take advantage of them.

So for me, if you like the image, show it!

> Taking the salt out of it...
> Moose, me too I don't think the hibiscus is exceptional but I decided
> to make that shot _because of the challenging lighting_ ;-)
> I considered it a 'tour de force' both for the MultiSpot reading, and
> for the Velvia 50F.

As Ctein says, "Nobody cares how hard you worked." Some casual snapshots turn
out great. Some shots that are triumphs of
equipment, camera technique and/or post processing technique aren't as good as
one would wish, after the risk and effort.

I've spent considerable time trying to make somewhat similar back lit shots
work - mostly without enough success to make
them worth it.

> Think of it as an experimental photograph.
> Did you notice the borders of the upper leave? It's not the famous
> Coolscan scanner artifact.

I don't have to worry about that. :-)

> I had a guess about how to explain it, but already forgot, cannot
> recall my own explanation (seriously), but it was related to the
> lighting.

Yup, sometimes strong back lighting will just do that. Might be light
bouncing/leaking around in the film. I think
that's what halation is, but AG would know for sure.

> Nevermind, I was just playing with the 135 Macro and the Tube :-)

Been there, done that, probably will again.

Anti Halation Moose