Re: [OM] Friday flowering tree

Subject: Re: [OM] Friday flowering tree
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 20:31:03 -0800
On 2/21/2012 6:11 PM, Fernando Gonzalez Gentile wrote:
> Mike,
>
> Cibachromes (and Radiance) are _'Miles Ahead'_ [quoting a famous Miles
> Davis recording], from whatever I could print from the most perfect
> .tiff, out from the largest and most expensive Epson in town
> Montevideo.
>
> Maybe an issue from the raster image processor (RIP) they use, but
> they promote themselves as the best in town.
> I'd say their inkjets prints are just above the barely acceptable threshold.

That's a shame, to have such limited resources available.

Might they be making sure the inkjet prints don't hurt the more profitable
business?

I have some Cibachromes* hanging on my walls, about 10x13 image area. They were
made by a master printer in his own wet
darkroom from his own slides.

I also have some Epson inkjet prints by Bob Whitmire from his digital cameras,
of various sizes up to 10.5x13. (And an
eye on another in larger size.)

I've seen many more by both photographer/printers, including some much larger
ones by Bob. There's more fine detail in
the files from Bob's D3 than is on the slides. That doesn't matter much until
you get up past 11x14. In all other
respects, color, contrast, etc., I just don't see where one is inherently
better than the other.

So don't let what's available in Montevideo mislead you about what's possible,
and available elsewhere. I'm betting a
inkjet print from Millers can be as good as the Cibachromes you've seen.

> And I'm not such a photographer to spend and invest lots of time,
> money and patience sending an original positive abroad ....

Ah well, there's one argument in favor of digital. Can you make a good enough
scan to just send it electronically to
someone like Millers?

Color Me Moose

* Perhaps Ilfochromes, as the change in ownership/branding was happening about
that time. I recall Daniel saying he
couldn't find any difference in the actual materials.