Re: [OM] IMG: The Cub

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: The Cub
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 14:05:19 -0600
So, this leaves us with two hand-propping techniques-- each potentially
deadly. Do you do it from in front or behind? I was taught both ways, but
forgot which was preferable. With a taildragger you either risk getting
your head thumped or your legs chopped. Run over with the prop or knocked
down by the braces. Some aircraft have the exhaust pipe coming out in a way
that backside propping can result in flames licking your trousers.

These days we've been seeing more prop accidents with ultralights and sport
planes because of inadequate training and following procedures.

My dad had to handprop our plane a few times. Of course we always did it to
get the oil moving before starting. But starting the engine always required
more attention to detail. It always scared him to do it. But wintertime
flying usually involved hand starting because the battery just wasn't going
to pull it through.

AG

--
Ken Norton