Re: [OM] IMG: The Cub

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: The Cub
From: "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 14:08:02 -0600
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the kind comments.

I just spent a few minutes trying to recall my habits of fifty years ago.  I
seem to recall that I normally climbed out behind the struts, which would
make it more difficult to approach the prop.  However, many wood-spar Cubs
were placarded to be soloed from the rear seat only.  Hence, if he was
climbing out of the front seat, he might have stepped down on the wheel and
been fairly close to the prop.  I can recall a few times when, with no one
else around, I stood behind the prop and started the engine.  Cubs on floats
are often started this way.

There was a case in the Dallas, TX area around Christmas time where a
talented young model exited a small plane at night, following a sight-seeing
flight to look at the Christmas lights, and walked into the prop in the
dark.  She lost a hand and an eye, and is still recovering from head
injuries.  It does happen.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA