Re: [OM] IMG: The Cub

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: The Cub
From: "Chris Trask" <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 13:25:12 -0700

> So, this leaves us with two hand-propping techniques-- each potentially
> deadly. Do you do it from in front or behind? I was taught both ways, but
> forgot which was preferable. With a taildragger you either risk getting
> your head thumped or your legs chopped. Run over with the prop or knocked
> down by the braces. Some aircraft have the exhaust pipe coming out in a
way
> that backside propping can result in flames licking your trousers.

    Always did it from the front.  First thing was to grab the prop near the
hub and pull/push to make certain the brakes were applied.  Doen't help to
do that if the aircraft is on skis.

    Another interesting mishap that does not occur very often is having the
engine catch in mid-cycle and kick the prop backwards.  That can give you a
nasty thump on the wrist.  Usually happens due to hot weather, a hot engine,
or over-priming.

> These days we've been seeing more prop accidents with ultralights and
sport
> planes because of inadequate training and following procedures.
>
> My dad had to handprop our plane a few times. Of course we always did it
> get the oil moving before starting. But starting the engine always
required
> more attention to detail. It always scared him to do it. But wintertime
> flying usually involved hand starting because the battery just wasn't
going
> to pull it through.

    It's one of those things relegated to an "art", much like photography
with all of the automatic stuff turned off.

Chris