Re: [OM] calling list members in Florida

Subject: Re: [OM] calling list members in Florida
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 16:19:15 -0600
> Yes, these types of engines were often symmetrical, with two identical small
> powerplants under the hood.  Hence the need for the "F" designation.

The new BNSF engines are quite nice looking and have a distinctive
front end to them. We live in Creston now which is a BNSF railroad
town. (at the "crest" or highest point between the rivers, hence the
name). It's a very busy set of railroad tracks that supports some
pretty high speed stuff (including Amtrack). At night most of the
engineers are pretty good about keeping their horn blasts short, but
there is this one guy that has great fun laying on the horn all the
way through town. Even where there are no crossings he's still laying
on the horn. Everybody knows him well. His reporting location is
obviously in another town.

I am told that BNSF runs two high-speed freights a day across Iowa.
These are no-stop freights and never hit a siding to let anybody else
through. I've seen one blow through Creston and it surely didn't slow
down too much. Talk about hauling the mail. It's the same drivers for
those ones. Two guys based in Council Bluffs, two guys in Burlington.
Out and back same day. Eats lunch while the engines are getting turned
around. These guys have tons of seniority.

AG