Re: [OM] Cost of Living [was: The Cub]

Subject: Re: [OM] Cost of Living [was: The Cub]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 21:16:37 -0800
On 2/22/2012 5:24 PM, Chris Trask wrote:

>      All this talk about the J-3 Cub takes me back to when I could rent an
> Aeronca 7AC for just $12 an hour wet on wheels or skis.  Now we have $5/gal
> gas in Los Angeles and it's not going to get any better soon.  We're at
> roughly $3.55 here in Phoenix, which is going to really impact my spring
> wildflower expeditions.
>
>      How's everyone else doing?

The price of gas isn't a big factor for us when at home, simply because we put
few miles on our cars.

The reversal where diesel is as or more expensive than premium is a bummer,
though. When we bought our little diesel RV,
it not only got better mileage than comparable gas models, but diesel was
cheaper. At least it still gets decent mileage.

Although I really didn't want to make the drive in a hurry, and we had
accommodations awaiting us, I did calculate that
round trip diesel fuel would cost about the same as our round trip air fares to
Montana last fall.

We probably will make the trip again by road, but at leisure. The only reason
we aren't sure about a cross country trip
is that the way we like to travel, it would take months. :-)

Merc Diesel Moose