Re: [OM] Some snapshots from the Florida Zuikofest

Subject: Re: [OM] Some snapshots from the Florida Zuikofest
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 23:26:33 -0600
> What I think you would like about the FF alternative is being able to
> think consistently about how you use your lenses across "platforms".  It
> is a pleasure for me to move the lens from OM to FFDB without
> recalculating all the time the impact of the crop factor.

Honestly, the only time I like the crop factor is when doing my moon
photography or some wildlife stuff. Otherwise, it's a pain.

> I really don't think most mortals need more than 12 MP capture.  But
> then I don't have to show up at photography socials in a gold-sequined
> codpiece like you. ;^)

Mine is black leather with studs. Goes with the chaps.

> The appeal of the OM-5DmkII for me would be an every-day clean sensor
> and the occasional LV.

I'm highly likely to hold out for the Mk3. Whatever it is, it's sure
to be bigger, badder, faster, more everything. I'll be the
best-dressed guy (with or without the leather bits) at the scenic
turnouts.

> If I were to jump on anything EVIL it would be the OM-D simply because
> it appears to meet my desiderata, at least on paper, and the thing just
> looks so cool.  In other words, jewelry -- mainly.

It's got my attention, that's for sure. But my wife has let it be
known in no uncertain terms that I'm so done with Olympus digital
cameras unless they take over the cooking and laundry.

> These big cameras seem just right to me at the moment.  If I want to do
> photography I don't mind dragging them along and using them.

I'm a bit torn on this one. If the 5Dmk3 has the new controls and
ergonomics of the 7D, then it will be just about right size for
balancing the larger Zuikos. Otherwise, I'm very much liking the OM
bodies. The OM-D looks very promising in this regard.

Where it is all going to come down is with the viewfinder. So far, the
EVFs from Sony, Panasonic and Olympus are great, but don't have that
"all day, every day" eye relief to them. Will I hate the viewfinder by
the end of a wedding shoot? (The Panasonic DMC-L1 is gut wrench in
this regard).

AG Schnozz