Re: [OM] Paper Choice for R2880 Matt and Gloss

Subject: Re: [OM] Paper Choice for R2880 Matt and Gloss
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 19:38:33 -0500
Hummm. Flattery will get you everywhere. <g> I do use matte almost exclusively,
but as I mentioned before, I've recently started using Moab's Exhibition
Luster. Not sure that's the exact name, and I'm writing this at the hospital so
I can't go look.

At any rate, the _real_ secret to excellent prints is color management, and a
good portion of that is using Epson's .icc profiles for Epson papers. Most of
the big shot pros I've talked to use them. Very few generate their own. With
other manufacturers, your mileage may vary.

But the whole color management routine from letting Photoshop manage the job
(or Lightroom, which is just a gooch easier to set up) is key. Using Epson
profiles is key. And the final step that makes a huge difference is soft
proofing. I won't go into the details here, but it basically uses Photoshop to
mimic how the image will look on the particular paper you have selected, and
then you make further adjustments to render the print more closely to how it
looked when you thought you got it just right before soft proofing.

After that, it's mostly a matter of how much of a perfectionist you are. <g>

The 2880 should produce drop-dead gorgeous prints, but if you really want to
take it to the next level, I recommend the 3880 or whatever model is likely to
follow along reasonably soon now.

--Bob