Re: [OM] Craziness: Nokia Announces The 808 PureView And Its 41MP Camera

Subject: Re: [OM] Craziness: Nokia Announces The 808 PureView And Its 41MP Camera
From: Dawid Loubser <dawid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 11:10:42 +0200
I've been following this Nokia phone camera with interest. Forgive me
if I am wrong, but one is already thoroughly diffraction-limited with
these tiny sensors when you get to 10MP or so, even at f/2.4. So I
cannot understand how more pixels help with the "digital zoom" ? (one
then simply experiences "optical" blur instead of "uprezzed and
smoothed" blur, no?) Also interesting is why the down-sampling from
42MP to 3 - 8MP should produce superiour image noise compared to
simply bigger, better megapixels? I know there is a theoretical
advantage to over-sampling and then down-rezzing, but the advantages
are marginal at best in my experience. This sounds like a very
expensive route to solving the problem - but most of all, is probably
a marketing stunt? If it does not produce good 42MP output (and how
could it, even a theoretically-perfect 8mm f/2.4 lens in front of a
42MP sensor that size would very diffraction-limited) - so they
shouldn't put that on the outside of the box.

Of course, at the "intended" resolution (5MP) the images do look
mighty fine:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nokiaofficial/6934446543/sizes/o/in/photostream/

We live interesting times where a $450 phone camera produces images
that are at least half as good (on all accounts, resolution, DR, etc)
as a $10,000 Leica M9 (plus lens) - in good light, of course. That's a
twenty-fold price increase, and the Nokia makes phone calls and does
computing also :-)

Dawid