Re: [OM] Back on-list -- a darkroom question

Subject: Re: [OM] Back on-list -- a darkroom question
From: Dawid Loubser <dawid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 22:39:35 +0200
Never had any such problems, but I have not shot HP5 in 35mm for a
couple of years, it's always 6x7cm or 4x5in.
If there is any highlight bleeding, it's too little to bother me in a
12x16in print from the larger formats.

This is a print of HP5 over-exposed at least two stops (e.g. ISO 100)
and corrected in printing. This was full "sunny f/16" bright afternoon
light, but my Nikkor-T*ED 360mm f/8 (wide open) only goes to 1/400
(and few LF shutters actually make their top speeds to begin with -
more like 1/300s - when I in reality I needed 1/1600s.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/135/a/3/gea_garratt_detail_by_philosomatographer-d3getad.jpg

In the other direction, HP5 is marvellous pushed to ISO1600 in the
larger formats. Makes Ilford Pan F in 35mm cry. I've posted this one
before, but just as a reference for HP5 pushed to ISO1600:

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/150/a/e/twice_bitten__not_shy_by_philosomatographer-d3hky2o.jpg
(No film at any ISO in 35mm can produce a 12x16in print like this.
Almost looks as good as digital ;-) )

Go on, abuse your HP5. It can take it!
Dawid