Re: [OM] The 1983 America's Cup yacht race and the camera market today

Subject: Re: [OM] The 1983 America's Cup yacht race and the camera market today
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 23:38:42 -0600
> A good read Ken, can't wait to see how it all pans out.

Thanks, Wayne. I too hope that Olympus is successful with this
product. They could really use some success right now.

Do I see Canon as vulnerable? Absolutely! I very much believe that the
G1X and 5D Mark III are serious product missteps. Excellent cameras?
Sure! But Canon is not responding to what the competition is doing.
We've seen this before. When the competition is successful, it ends up
being ugly for the defender. Throughout the history of the photography
industry we have multiple examples of this. Kodak being the most
recent and largest example of what happens when you don't shadow your
challengers.

Honestly, I am shocked at Canon's moves in both products. If Canon is
right, and the success of the others is not guaranteed, then the
product managers look like heros. But I've seen this game played out
too many times before.

AG