Re: [OM] backup or snyc

Subject: Re: [OM] backup or snyc
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2012 20:35:45 -0800
On 3/4/2012 6:00 PM, Mike Lazzari wrote:
> Well I just installed 2 WD Green 2tb drives for photo archives. I'd like
> to keep duplicate copies. Not sure about the best way to do this. I'm
> thinking of using SyncBack and syncing the two drives rather than a
> standard backup.

That's what have been doing for quite some time, moving up to larger drives
occasionally as the archive grows and
reasonably priced larger drives become available.

Syncback is just great for that. I've never had a problem with it. I've come to
mix sync and back up. I used to back up
only, on the theory that foolishness on my part on the primary drive would not
be propagated on the archive drive. The
trouble is that I sometimes make mistakes or re-organize part of the primary
drive. Then the same images end up in two
places on the archive drive.

So occasionally I run it in sync mode, where it erases anything on the archive
drive that's not on the source. I don't
mount both drives in the computer. when you do that, any virus, etc. can access
the archive drive. I only attach it when
updating the archive, then it lives in the house, but away from the computer.

> Wheoretically I can sync all three drives ??

Yup.

> Does this make sense?

Yup.

Sync A. Moose