[OM] Subjunctive, was Re: IMG: Nathan's PAW 9 . . .

Subject: [OM] Subjunctive, was Re: IMG: Nathan's PAW 9 . . .
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 05:54:32 +0000
I'm glad that you found the subjunctive, John, but that page has mistakes:

The manager insists that the car park should be locked at night.
It was essential that we should vote as soon as possible.
These phrases amount to tautology.  The word "insists" means the same as
"should be".  In addition, the author misses the point that the subjunctive is
formed of the infinitive, omitting the "to", therefore their analysis of the
phrases are wrong.

But apart from that it's an interesting page :-)

Sorry, but there are too many people in the queue for a Tornado trip, including
Tornado pilots :-)

Chris