Re: [OM] [Way off topic] Bicycle pedals

Subject: Re: [OM] [Way off topic] Bicycle pedals
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 15:18:39 -0500
It didn't take long searching Google with
[ schwinn pedal thread size ]

to come up with this link
<http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/opc.html>

Clicking on "pedals" there gets you this
<http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/opc.html#pedal>
which includes original 1/2" shaft pedals as well as 9/16" to 1/2"
adapters. (But the adapters are roughly twice the price of pedals)

I don't know diddly about bikes but was interested to see this
explanation about why the difference in thread sizes.
"Since one-piece cranks have to be able to fit through the bearing cones
for assembly, the cranks cannot be as thick as three-piece cranks. As a
result, they have to use a smaller diameter pedal thread, 1/2" instead
of 9/16"."

The full Google search has lots more stuff.  I only showed you the first
link returned.

Chuck Norcutt