Re: [OM] [Way off topic] Bicycle pedals

Subject: Re: [OM] [Way off topic] Bicycle pedals
From: Jim Couch <zuikoholic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 15:26:57 -0800
This is actually full of problems. If the Schwinn is old enough to have
a one piece crank. Modern chainring thickness and spacing will be an
issue with the old chain, and that is before considering any issue of
chain wear. It is very likely there will be shifting issues at the very
least. the conversion BB sets are now very difficult to find, and often
times designed, not for multi speed bikes, but for single speed BMX bikes.

Cost is also an issue. If Steve does the work himself and has the needed
tools, he will still probably top the $150.00 mark, money that would
probably be better spent on a newer, lighter bike. The $150 would
actually cover the cost of a good used bike with a crank that already
has 9/16" crank drilling.

Jim