Re: [OM] Quick Question

Subject: Re: [OM] Quick Question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2012 21:26:44 -0800
On 3/7/2012 6:30 PM, Willie Wonka wrote:

> I am not sure if he kept the negatives after all these years, but am curious
> to know why he didn't give them to us in a first place,

Because he was hoping you would come back for more prints. Once he has sold or
given you the prints, he has no hope of
any future income from the project.

As Chuck has pointed out, the business has changed a great deal since then. But
for decades the deal was that the
photographer retained the negs and you paid for whatever prints you wanted.

> all we got was an album and a bw picture we requested.

As was usual practice at the time.

> I am pretty sure the latter was not shot in bw.
>
> Any reasons for which he would refuse to sell the negatives to us?

Grumpiness that you never bought any more prints? Senility? Stubbornness? More
importantly, as Chuck pointed out, it
would be windfall income. If he hasn't already thrown out the negs, someone
will eventually, if they aren't sold to you.

> How do I go around it?  What is a reasonable price to pay?

Simple, straightforward approach indicating interest and wondering how much it
would be. You might want to use the
social manners of your adopted country, rather than those of Bulgaria. Some
USians find them off putting. (Unless the
photographer's name is Whitmire.) ;-)   Then either jump on what you think is a
good deal or negotiate.

Negotiable Moose