[OM] More info on focus screen in OM5DIII

Subject: [OM] More info on focus screen in OM5DIII
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 19:05:05 -0500 (EST)
Wanted this one to be superb for fast Zuikos.  VF optics were
redesigned and larger  and I speculated there might be
enough room  (brightness) for using more precise screen.
Seems this is not the case:

Quote from Chuck  Westfall (our Chuck is better)

"The EOS 5D Mark III’s focusing screen has about the same overall
brightness and depth-of-field characteristics as the EOS 5D Mark II‘s
Eg-A standard focusing screen. This is a brighter screen than the Eg-S
with most lenses, but it does not depict depth of field accurately for
apertures wider than about f/4. Manual focusing accuracy using the
optical viewfinder is about the same, lens for lens, on the 5D Mark III
as it is on the 5D Mark II with an Eg-A focusing screen."

(Totally agree with the f4 assessment on the OM5DII with stock screen.)

More here:

http://blog.planet5d.com/2012/03/questions-answered-for-the-canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-hdmi-video/

Bah.
Perhaps with improved AF, the chipped adapters  will have better
performance too.  Reikan is thinking of supporting them
according to his blog.  They perhaps trigger AF confirm at edge of zone
of acceptable as best I could tell.  Microadjust  (MA) may help,
though that is total speculation.  Mag LV is always best but not always
possible.

One good thing is the MA has adjustment on both ends of a zoom like the
new flagship and unlike the 5DII.

I suppose 3rd party screens will appear but then there is no menu item
in the cam  to fix the exposure changes and it is fussy to change them
out
and I now have less and less fussing time.

They didn't follow the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it principle," Mike