[OM] OM-D low-light pics on dpreview

Subject: [OM] OM-D low-light pics on dpreview
From: "Peter Klein" <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 12:41:56 -0800
Dpreview just published some low light tests of the upcoming OM-D E-M5.
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/reviewsamples/albums/olympus-om-d-e-m5-low-light-iso-samples

They use some low color-temperature lights that simulate typical warm
tungsten room light. There is no RAW support for the camera, so they did
two shots at each ISO setting: One with default settings, the other with
noise reduction turned off.

If what these preliminary tests show holds up in the real world, I'm
impressed. You folks can be the judge of what you see, of course. But I'm
seeing very usable ISO 3200 and even 6400. The latter looks as good (if
not better than) ISO 800 does on my old G1.

I'll want to see a lot more real-world pictures and reviews of the
camera's operation before I bite. But I must say, it's looking tempting.
Most people have been brainwashed by advertizing and Net know-it-alls into
believing that micro 4/3's perennial noise problem is the result of its
being vastly smaller than APS-C. My opinion is that's it's been more a
matter of the sensors Panasonic and Oly chose to use. If the OM-D
represents the kind of performance leap that the K5 and D7000 had over
previous APS-C models, then the OM-D gets more tempting.

Micro 4/3 is often good enough, and very convenient. And fun.  My G1 is
getting old, though still servicable. I'll have to decide whether to get a
used GH2 when people dump that for the latest thing, or spring for the
OM-D. Or do nothing.

-Peter