Re: [OM] FYI - Kirk did a nice preview of the OMD

Subject: Re: [OM] FYI - Kirk did a nice preview of the OMD
From: WayneS <olympus@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 20:35:43 -0400
   Sorry I have not kept up with the list for a while, and am jumping in
   blind on this
   topic from the past, but felt the need to relate some of my experience
   with
   NEX-5n with EVF attachment. I just got back from a trip to Cayman
   Islands.
   I have to say, I really had a hard time with the EVF viewfinder. As
   responsive
   and fast as it may be, it renders exposure slowly, is impossible to
   manually
   focus, and no where near compares with shooting with an optical
   viewfinder.
   I feel completely a slave to the camera. Autofocus is slow and
   difficult to
   evaluate with the EVF, and yes I have focus peaking on. Touch screen
   controls
   don't work with your nose on the back of the camera.
   All I can say is you have to live with a camera for a while to know it
   will
   work. I love that the NEX is light weight and easy to transport. But my
   photography has gone down hill ever since the OM-4t. The canyon 5d is
   probably the best digital I have used in comparison, but the NEX
   performance,
   when you need it, is lacking. The NEX manual focus override is a joke,
   impossible
   to hold the focus button half depressed without firing the shutter when
   trying
   to focus, and it zooms in to a fraction of the image and takes too long
   return to full view, it is a worthless effort if you want fast
   response. I just
   can't get the hang of it.
   I do like the camera for what it is, but I must be too old a dog to
   learn
   its new tricks. All I can say is specs only go so far, and a camera
   really
   has to fit your style. I'm just not that impressed with my NEX after
   using
   it for 4 months, other than it fits in a small bag.
   If I really want more than 16mp, I think a full frame non-toy camera
   with optical viewfinder is the only thing that would work for me.
   When you have a chance to really work with the NEX, I'd like to know
   how it goes.
   Wayne
   At 2/8/2012 08:05 PM, you wrote:

     > Jeez... Sorry I brought it up. [?]
     Well, here's what has me concerned. I'm going to publish this piece
     on it
     that will make it seem like Olympus has seen the light, corrected
     their
     ways and is worthy of our undying affection again. In reality,
     they've
     introduced ONE stink'n body that probably still has the same hokey
     double-clutch shutter of the E-Pens. Although the 16MP sensor is
     adequate
     today, it really is no different than when the 5MP E-1 was trying to
     compete with 8MP 20D bodies. 16MP E-M5 against 36MP D800.
     No, wait! The E-M5 isn't meant to compete against a "real" camera.
     That's
     not a fair comparison. Oh, really? Again, Olympus fails to address
     the
     needs of the serious photographers. This ends up being just another
     fancy,
     expensive piece of jewelry.
     Nah, I wouldn't write anything like that. It would make it seem like
     still hold a grudge against Olympus.
     But what I will write about is that Olympus has finally listened to
     us
     enough to produce a camera that can be used by some of us for the
     majority
     of our uses. It's attractive AND useful. Oh, and highly
     customizable. It
     is, in so many ways, very much like my Minolta A1. The size/shape of
     the
     camera is fine, as long as the handgrip add on is roomy enough. If
     it's too
     tight and my fingers don't get a good purchase (like the recent
     Nikon and
     Sony DSLR bodies), then I'm toast.
     Things that stand out to me as being worthy of note:
     1. Built-in EVF with high-performance refresh and data display below
     the
     image area. Overlays stink.
     2. Tilt monitor, not twist-and-shout. My preference for how I work.
     Twist-and-shout is better for tripod use, tilt for handheld.
     3. Rotational IS. Finally!!!!
     4. Touch sensitive OLED monitor. YES!!!!!
     5. No more 12MP sensor. Finally!!! Although 16MP is really moving to
     the
     top of the field.
     6. Time exposure live monitor image update. Way cool!
     7. Intelligent control layout and programmable buttons--including
     the REC
     button.
     Things that still make me puzzled:
     1. In the programmable buttons, still no support for one-touch spot
     metering. Everybody from the '90s must be retired, I guess. Come on
     guys--It's ONLY software!!!!
     2. Slow sync speed. This tells me it doesn't have electronic first
     curtain
     like the Sony.
     3. Only a 1/3 stop improvement in noise over the 12MP sensor.
     4. No note of improved AF speeds with Four-Thirds lenses. I guess
     that
     on-chip PDAF function ain't working yet.
     Olympus did a good job of promoting the look and feel of this
     camera--just
     as they did with the E-P1/2/3, but is downplaying any improvement in
     IQ as
     well as any hard data on imaging and the shutter. Plenty of new
     features,
     but the underlying machine has limits.
     The question I ask myself is this: I'm going to be living with my
     next
     digital camera purchase for a long time. Is this the one I want to
     be
     married to? With the Sony NEX-7's excellent image quality, I'm
     having a
     hard time justifying yesterday's 16MP against the current 24MP in
     crop-sensor cameras with the full-frames running 36 or more MP. Six
     years
     from now, will 16MP be as dismal as my E-1's 5MP is today? The
     difference
     between 16MP and 24MP is a good two years.
     But 16MP is more than enough. Right? Maybe, maybe not. For the vast
     bulk of
     my photography today, it will be more than sufficient. But in three
     years,
     it might not be. It's not that I'm a slave to the megapixel race,
     (far from
     it), but as often as I do this, I will want to jump as deep into the
     state-of-the-art as possible. In reality, the best thing for me to
     do is
     get the 5Dmk3 the day it comes out and sell it the day before the
     5Dmk4 is
     announced. It's not like Canon's product cycles aren't relatively
     predictable now. Sure, it will cost 3X as much up front, but after
     3.5
     years, I'll still be able to get the majority of my purchase price
     out of
     it. In the end, it's about the same price and I'll have the best IQ
     camera
     around (full-frame at that). No more compromises.
     Alas, the siren song of Olympus is screaming in my ears. Something
     that NO
     other camera manufacturer has been able to do to me.
     AG