Re: [OM] FYI - Kirk did a nice preview of the OMD

Subject: Re: [OM] FYI - Kirk did a nice preview of the OMD
From: Dawid Loubser <dawid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 09:47:25 +0200
On 13 Mar 2012, at 7:05 AM, Moose wrote:

> On 3/12/2012 9:51 PM, Moose wrote:
>> There's also another factor for those of us interested in color.
>> The Bayer array has a problem with reds. How much of it
>> is simple resolution, imperfect filters, easier clipping, and some
>> other factors, I don't know. There was a careful
>> comparison of a lower 'true' resolution Sigma to a 5D with flowers
>> that made this clear. Even the beautiful pixel level
>> quality 5D is sloppy with color boundaries, especially reds. It
>> gets subtle tones wrong.
>
> Wow! No sooner do I send this off than I see that Sigma has lowered
> the price of the SD1 from the stratosphere to
> $2,299. Hmmm, that could be an alternative to a 5DIII at a close-out
> 5DII price. Now if they would just make models with
> F and EF mounts. ;-)

I noticed this too. If they made other mounts available, I would also
be very interested indeed. Sigma has some great lenses,
but they also have some less-then-great ones, and quality control (and
build quality) definitely suffers. But at ~$2000 this
camera is interesting. I can't believe they tried their luck with the ~
$9000 pricing...

I don't know what the flange-sensor distance of the Sigma mount is,
but I am assuming it can't accommodate OM lenses + adaptor?

Dawid