Re: [OM] 90/2.0 Macro + Pan F = Smile

Subject: Re: [OM] 90/2.0 Macro + Pan F = Smile
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 10:10:41 -0500
> St. Ansel would have had every item in focus and burned the
> background in to concentrate attention on the subject lily.  I think I
> might have preferred that approach, but it wouldn't be a Dawid photo in
> that case. :)

Thank you, Joel, for saying that. The problem we often have with some
of these pictures is that we envision what _____________ would have
done with it. Sorry, but this is wrong-headed.

This would be like saying "nice painting, but I would have preferred
the way da Vinci would have painted it."

Or saying "nice song, but I would have preferred the way Tony Bennett
would have sung it." Oh, wait. Tony Bennett has done it with every
song, I think.

Anyway, you get the point. Dawid has his own style. Dawid's work
stands on its own merits. Just as you might not prefer the way the
bokeh is rendered in the one shot does not diminish the value of the
shot. What if one of the acknowledged masters had done that shot? We'd
be singing the praises of it, not nitpicking it. Dawid has a good
vision. Sometimes I don't always like his shots for various reasons,
but in reality I dislike most of my own shots too.

AG