Re: [OM] FYI - Kirk did a nice preview of the OMD

Subject: Re: [OM] FYI - Kirk did a nice preview of the OMD
From: WayneS <olympus@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 17:40:27 -0400
The day was cold and the manual focus ring was stiff. I had a hard time looking
through the view finder with the "manual focus assist" on. I later found the
settings you mention. But you cannot get focus peaking with manual focus except
in the DMF mode. In DMF it auto-focuses and you can do MF override.

I now have the focus assist off. it would be better if there was a selectable
magnification setting, not just on/off.

I guess 5n is not the same as the 7, as there is no toggle between MF/AF except
via custom function, then the settings are AF, MF, DMF. So DMF is auto focus
with manual override, there is no MF with peaking, it becomes disabled. If you
have to crank the focus more than 180 degrees, it becomes frustrating and sort
of defeats the purpose of using manual focus, not to mention holding the
shutter button half depressed when making such large movements with the focus
ring. This is a real problem with close focus situations.

This is my biggest complaint with the 5n, focus turns ratio and poor MF
operation.

The second is probably the lens hood being extremely loose. You have to
constantly check it. It does not lock in any way when fully on.

The third is more about Adorama. When I bought the camera last November, the
kit included the 16mm lens, but I still have not received that lens. Might be
my last purchase from Adorama. I know the production was shut down, I'll see if
when the get them back in stock whether the still honor the original purchase.

Wayne