Re: [OM] IMG: Grape Hyacinths

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Grape Hyacinths
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 16:41:16 -0500
> I did shoot the same flowers with my Fuji F10, and it is much worse in its
> handling of the colors.  I will stick with my last image.

Actually, the last image is definitely close. I've noticed that the
way ACR handles the 4-pixel mix, it seems to handle the near IR and
near UV colors a little differently. They don't go full-blown blue
like a Nikon image, but it does mute the red portion a tiny bit.

What this is related to, for those not following, is the fact that the
E-1 has an extended near-IR response (yes you can get magenta blacks
in some cases) as well as a second hump on the red response down in
the violet colors. Without the second hump the color violet may
capture as blue.

I say "may" because some purples are a mixture of blue and red, which
will register just fine. It's the violets (purples) which occur in
nature which aren't necessarily pigment based, but are caused by
refraction. Some flowers, like the African Violet, are made up of two
primary colors--blue and near IR. If the IR cut filter is to tight,
the sensor will only see the blue. Even then, the flowers must be lit
by lighting that has significant portions of UV and IR.

What I spotted about Jim's flowers is that these will have a slight
reddish/lavender look to them when viewed in that kind of lighting. In
shade, they'll turn blue.

AG