Re: [OM] Olympus E-5 and OM-D E-M5 bodies

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus E-5 and OM-D E-M5 bodies
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 18:05:30 -0000
I beg to differ!

The reflex mirror on a Periflex is a rangefinder, not a viewfinder. It does
not have to be raised and lowered "as any other reflex mirror" because you
compose the photo through the viewfinder, not the periscope (which gives a
field of view about the same as a rangefinder patch on a Leica).

Disclosure: I have owned and used a Periflex. The seller of item
260977030670 (a Corfield 66 MF SLR) has an interesting sales pitch which
tallies with my extimation of Corfield cameras: "To be honest the camera is
a little bit disappointing. Like all Corfield cameras the build quality is
not great. This is accentuated by the sturdy German lens at the front and
the sturdy German roll film holder at the back. Quite frankly the camera in
the middle seems a bit 'tinny'. (This is called hard sell)" But don't let
that put you off buying an interesting and scarce camera.

Further disclosure: I nearly bought a further Periflex a couple of weeks ago
on the auction site, but it went for just over GBP200. I think I was not
alone in spotting what was almost certainly a 50/2.8 Leitz collapsible Elmar
fitted to it!
230753094438 But that was nothing compared to the Periflex which sold for
over GBP4000 last month, with two competing mega-bidders. Maybe it was the
Dallmeyer Dallac 85/2 lens on the front which was the clincher.

Piers