[OM] Zuiko 80 f/4.0 really is impressive

Subject: [OM] Zuiko 80 f/4.0 really is impressive
From: Dawid Loubser <dawid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 19:52:11 +0200
Quite some time back - in an attempt to build up a complete set of the
old Macro Bellows lenses - I obtained (for rather next to nothing) a
first-generation Zuiko 80mm f/4.0 Macro lens. The one with single
coatings and manual aperture. At the time, I also shot Fomapan 100 in
an OM-1.

I must say, scanning some of these old images, the resolving power and
crisp contrast of this lens is truly impressive (almost 40 years old!).

This is the full frame, shot at f/11:

> http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/078/c/4/mussel_in_the_sand_by_philosomatographer-d4t9gvi.jpg
> (OM-1, Zuiko Macro 80/4 @ f/11 or so, Fomapan 100)

And a small crop (as good as I can do with my consumer-grade scanner,
an optically enlarged crop print in the darkroom would show much more):

> http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/078/6/a/mussel_in_the_sand___crop_by_philosomatographer-d4t9ifg.jpg

Viewing the negative through my <germanAccent>powerful gestapo loupe</
germanAccent>, I can see much much more. The mystique around the Zuiko
Macros are well-deserved, this $200 combo at the very least equals the
$7000 Canon EOS Digital setup I used to use for such images.

Dawid