[OM] Zuiko 80 f/4.0 really is impressive

Subject: [OM] Zuiko 80 f/4.0 really is impressive
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 20:05:57 -0400 (EDT)
>The Nikon 70-180mm Micro-NIKKOR (f/4.5-5.6, made from 1997 to about
>2004) is
>even more extreme, it does 1:1.3 at the long end.

>Dawid

That is quite an unusual zoom.  Not being a Nikonian (only one film
body from my Uncle) it was totally off the radar.  Very complex of
course and even is
superb at mid distances and only slightly soft at infinity.
Interesting that it is noted for nice bokeh like the Viv S1 90-180
macro.  Perhaps something to do with residual aberrations in zooms
optimized for macro as well as the usual background distances.

http://www.bythom.com/70180macrolens.htm

Nikons are cool in that they report the effective aperture in the VF
and LCD.  Never recall anyone else doing that but most of my macro gear
is MF.
The review says it does NOT change aperture with magnification?????
Now that is a weird design--not sure I believe it.  Big Foot loses 1/2
stop less than the Zuiko
135 macro at 1:2 but having an an aperture  mechanism that effectively
eliminates the loss of light with mag is very weird.  Big Foot has
floating elements but does not change the physical size of the aperture
with focusing, AFAIK.

On another note, John has reported seeing some Z. 50-250's that have
had a clouded element.  :-(    Not mine yet, phew.

Mike