[OM] Patience is a Virtue, or a Sickness

Subject: [OM] Patience is a Virtue, or a Sickness
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 19:36:00 -0500
Patience. Is it a virtue or a sickness? In the world of photography, I
think it can be both. Patience, in this case, happens to be B&W film
photography.

This evening, the overcast sky was rather interesting. It had more
character than normal. I identified three different layers of stratus
which were in various stages of decay and openness. To the north of
Newton is a new wind farm, so I drove up there to see if there was
anything worthwhile to photograph. Some wind turbines are bigger than
others. These are the biggest. The blades are so long that this
particular type of wind turbine can only be located in certain areas
because you can't transport them from the factory just anywhere.

I found a nice spot to photograph a handful of towers, got out the
DMC-L1 and shot a few pictures which are fine, but I know there was
something "missing". So, back to the Jeep, where I peel out the OM-3Ti
took pictures with the 24/2.8, 50/1.4 and 100/2. I still wasn't quite
satisfied. I then grabbed the filter stack and pulled out the Red #25.
Held it up to the eye and saw what I was looking for.

The view through the viewfinder completely changed. Suddenly, all new
compositions openned up. Otherwise boring shots came alive. Exciting
shots changed--sometimes better, sometimes worse. I even dug out the
tripod!!!

Two particular compositions caused me to stop in my tracks. I'm
normally very quick with my compositions--especially with Four-Thirds
because the viewed image is so small that I'm leaning on the normal
tricks of the trade. These two, though, took on a life of their own. I
stopped and considered that they would look like enlarged beyond my
normal size. What would these look like blown way up?

At that point, I started really tweaking the composition. I studied
the eye-flow to see how the eye would follow one turbine blade from a
distant tower to one on the nearest tower. Then the eye would move
down the tower to the ground, slide over, back up the other tower and
across the blades to complete the circle. Basic stuff, really, but not
something I can do very often.

The other shot totally surprised me. Street signs in the country
rarely hold much interest and a digital shot would have been a
complete throwaway. I'm not sure why I pointed the camera that
direction--maybe it was the sky. Whatever it was, it grabbed my
undivided attention. The red filter turned the green paint of the sign
black. The fields are barren so they stayed neutral and the sky was
very interesting. Even the distant cows filled out the frame. Yes,
there was a fence. Always a fence...

Patience. I must wait for the results. It'll be weeks before I process
the film and make work prints. With digital, the satisfaction would
have been immedate. For instant gratifaction, digital so rules. B&W
film photography is either a virtue or a sickness. We film
photographers are either brilliant or totally stupid. Ask me another
day and I might give you a different answer.

I'm reminded how much of a "friend" the OM system has been to me
photographically. The cameras have helped me see in ways I wouldn't
have seen otherwise. I'm not blessed with that perfect
previsualization that so many have. Somethings do come naturally for
me, others I have to work at. The OM system has been a great partner
in this aspect. The silent assistant that just says "look over here,
please".

I'm eagerly anticipating what can be done with these images.
Photography isn't just about Bokeh. It's nice to explore other options
and styles too. But it does help when the camera (and lens) suggests
something to you. It's not often that I see images that grab me like
this in the viewfinder. It's probably been at least three years for
me.

AG