Re: [OM] Vivitar 300/5.5 with wrong adapter

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar 300/5.5 with wrong adapter
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 06:27:40 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

> I just picked up, for all of $35.00, I Vivitar 300mm f/5.5
> lens.  The seller said that it had been used on an Olympus
> OM-2. I thought it would be an inexpensive way to experiment
> with a long lens on my E-30 or G1, for which I have OM to
> (micro) 4/3 adapters.
>
> The lens arrived today.  As I suspected, it's one of those
> "universal" lenses that takes adapters for various camera
> brands (perhaps T4?).  Unfortunately, the mount is for
> Canon breech-lock mount, not Olympus.
>
> My question is, how hard would it be to find the right
> adapter?  The lens cost so little that sending it back
> almost doesn't seem worth it.  The focus is smooth and the
> glass looks good at first glance. So I'd almost rather get
> the right adapter than hassle with returning it.
>
> Advice?  Anybody know where I can get an Olympus adapter
> for this beast?

     First of all, that lens is most likely a T4 mount, and if so then the
focusing grip is machined aluminum.  It's a very well-made piece of hardware
and well worth the effort to make it usable.

     If you use a Canon to OM 4/3 adapter, you will not be able to focus to
infinity.  That's okay if you're just doing macro work, but for anything else
you'll need to obtain a different T4 or TX mount adapter.

     There is no OM adapter for T4 lenses, and the one for TX won't fit on T4.
Luckily, the M42 mount adapter (also known as U and PX in T4/TX language) will
fit both T4 and TX, and those are fairly inexpensive.  If you go this route, be
mindful that many of the M42 to OM 4/3 adapters out there are too thick to
allow infinity focusing, and I have found that the one available from Roxsen
works okay (eBay #150642486987).  You'll have to find some way of holding in
the aperture pin on that mount.

     The mount adapter for Nikon F will also fit both series, and there is
presently a couple of affordable ones available (eBay #180844114701,
#251021154322).

Chris