Re: [OM] Vivitar 300/5.5 with wrong adapter

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar 300/5.5 with wrong adapter
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 14:01:49 -0000
I believe that lens was indeed T4 mount (allegedly made by Tokina), and you
might be able to verify that from the review here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nesster/5262734069/sizes/l/in/photostream/

If it is indeed T4 then there's a problem, as OM adapters were not made in T4,
only in TX. You can put T4 adapters on TX lenses, but TX adapters will not fit
T4 lenses. And finding either would be a challenge!

There is an interesting (perhaps not wholly accurate) write up of T4 and TX
lenses here:

http://photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00Tva4

Sandy's suggestion is the simplest way to go - item 180769487259 on the auction
site will adapt the FD lens to your G1, it's from a seller known to several of
us (for the right reasons) and costs GBP10. There will be plenty of other
sellers, some may even be selling a different adapter!

Fitting FD lenses to your E30 will be trickier.  If it had not been a Dedicated
FD lens, removal of the FD mount and substitution of a new mount would fix it,
as here:

http://gfotostore.ru/catalog/view/62.html

I suspect that will not help you, although the T4 is designed to be removable,
so there is no need for saw, files, axes. If you are not that adventurous, take
a look at this which shows that it can be done with an available adapter
costing about USD65 shipped (USD45 if you don't want an AF confirm chip):

http://oly43club.ru/_images/adapters/XXX/XXX_canon_FD.jpg

But that does require you to be adventurous enough to buy from a Russian
website, which makes clear (ish) in the small table part-way down that focus to
infinity is not possible. But simply taking the T4 mount off and using the
universal adapter might work. YMMV, as they say.

http://gfotostore.ru/catalog/view/47.html

Piers