Re: [OM] Vivitar 300/5.5 with wrong adapter

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar 300/5.5 with wrong adapter
From: "Peter Klein" <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 15:44:11 -0700
Cc: pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks so much, Chris, Chuck, Piers and Sandy, you guys are the best!

The lens is indeed T4 mount, and the Canon-mount T4 adapter dismounts
easily. So I'll have to buy two more adapters. I think it's worth it.  The
lens is indeed very well made, and the glass and mechanics seem to be
good.

So a T4 adapter for either Nikon or M42 (Pentax screw) will give me
infinity focus. I think I'll deal with the E-30 first, because it will
handle a big lens better, has a good grip and has in-body image
stabilization.

Nikon seems the better choice since the 4/3 adapter should set the lens to
stop down when you turn the diaphragm ring (as my OM-4/3 adapter does),
unlike the M42.

Both a Soligor-made Nikon T4 mount and a Fotodiox Nikon-to-4/3 adapter
were available from the same seller, so I just went for those. Tune in
next week for another exciting episode.

--Peter

Chris Trask wrote:

>     First of all, that lens is most likely a T4 mount, and if so then the
> focusing grip is machined aluminum.  It's a very well-made piece of
hardware
> and well worth the effort to make it usable.
>
>      If you use a Canon to OM 4/3 adapter, you will not be able to focus to
> infinity.  That's okay if you're just doing macro work, but for anything
else
> you'll need to obtain a different T4 or TX mount adapter.
>
>      There is no OM adapter for T4 lenses, and the one for TX won't fit
on T4.
> Luckily, the M42 mount adapter (also known as U and PX in T4/TX
language) will
> fit both T4 and TX, and those are fairly inexpensive.  If you go this
route, be
> mindful that many of the M42 to OM 4/3 adapters out there are too thick to
> allow infinity focusing, and I have found that the one available from
Roxsen