[OM] Saturdays

Subject: [OM] Saturdays
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 12:08:31 -0500
One of the tasks I've started doing for myself is making up meals for
during the week. Every weekend I make up a batch of something, divide it up
into serving sizes and freeze it. Last week was a curry, this week it's
split-pea soup. Eight servings seems to work about right as that gives me a
four week rotation for two meals of whatever it is.

So, today's soup: Split-pea. One of my all-time favorite foods. I know you
aren't supposed to overly soak them, but I've found that at least 12 hours
of water soak with a couple of water changes does a nice job of reducing,
uh, back-pressure? Of course, whatever gains in that department are made up
for with the gobs of garlic I add. Oh well.

One pound of split-peas, soaked for 16 hours, two water changes.
Two medium onions, medium chopped.
One pound of finely chopped ham.
One cup finely chopped carrots.
One large potato, chopped.
Six cloves garlic, finely chopped. (or two tablespoons worth of garlic in a
jar)
One chicken bullion cube.
Seasoning (no details given, varies depending on mood, creativity and
cultural influence).

Cook in crock pot till everything is purree.

Enjoy.

Uh oh. Rats. One daughter has expressed that she likes split-pea soup too!
Not all will end up in frozen portions, I guess.

Sorry, but absolutely no OM content in this post.

AG