Re: [OM] How'd they do that?

Subject: Re: [OM] How'd they do that?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 12:58:23 -0500
> Jez, give it up. The concepts of non-destructive editing and the file
> handling of Lightroom (or rather, the lack thereof) are just too innovative
> for some people. I think LR is the greatest piece of photo processing
> software ever invented, but I recognize that in other areas I am set in my
> ways and have a similar attitude to that shown by Chuck and Jim.

Lightroom is simply incredible now. The first two versions were far
too slow for me, but now it's actually quite usable, and it screams on
my new desktop computer. If I'm shooting an event with just the
Olympus, I prefer to use Olympus Studio, though. My editor is Picture
Window Pro, so for the nitpicky stuff, I live life there, but
Lightroom makes turn-and-burn wonderful.

I also use it in non-library mode. My directories are
YYYY_MM__DD_Event-Location. I exclusively use this mode because I use
various tools interchangeably and having it in the Lightroom library
makes it a nightmare for using something else. I'm also very anti-DNG,
so without the DNG conversion, using the Lightroom library function is
not as complete/handy of a tool.

The coolest thing about Lightroom is when working with the client for
portrait picking. It's great that we can whip through the selects,
choose the ones they want, apply the crops and hit the presets to let
them choose the look. Say thank you, send them on there way, do a few
additional adjustments while they aren't looking, save to JPEG and
then upload to Millers. Easy as pie.

AG