Re: [OM] Cade's Cove, was DLO is out --worth changing workflow for suppo

Subject: Re: [OM] Cade's Cove, was DLO is out --worth changing workflow for supported lenses?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 16:05:41 -0500
> I've yet to do any hiking at Cosby Creek Ken. Is there more than one trail
> there and, if so, which one do you recommend?

It depends on several factors. If you don't mind the unending uphill
jaunt, I would recommend Low Gap Trail. It's 2.5 miles of uphill
grind. The advantage of it, though, is the change in vegetation as you
go up. You get almost all the zones covered in just those 2.5 miles.
My best-selling image was taken on that trail at the stream crossing.

Lower Mount Cammerer Trail goes to the east. It's a nice trail as long
as it is dry. I attempted it one time in a wet year and it was a
miserable hike. Back around 1990 when I was down there a lot there was
poaching activity in that area so usage of the trail was diminished a
bit.

For a really good long hike (13 or so miles), a great loop to take is
Snake Den Ridge Trail up to Inado Knob, then take the five miles of
the A.T. to the east and come back down on Low Gap Trail. I've done
this loop once and really enjoyed it. Coming back down on Low Gap
Trail makes for a nice refreshing closure to the day.

In Cataloochee, a few trails I enjoyed, but one of note, the Boogerman
Trail is a nice loop. It's a popular trail, but has had a reputation
in the past of being a bit rich with copperhead snakes.

Along the main road, I really like Chimney Tops and Alum Cave Trail.
Unfortunately, they tend to be very busy. West of Sugarlands Visitor
Center, is the Laural Falls Trail. I enjoyed the photographic
opportunities along it. From Cades Cove, you can go up the Anthony
Creek Trail to Russell Field Trail. This tops out at the A.T. This is
one grind, for sure. Lots of altitude gain. But one of the more
rewarding climbs.

AG