Re: [OM] Big Chomp No Chew

Subject: Re: [OM] Big Chomp No Chew
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 14:05:30 -0500
> Secondly, your comparison of the 5MP E-1
> and the 5D's 12MP (not 16) is not an output measure.

I was actually referring to the 16MP sensor in the latest/greates
Pansonic and Olympus Micro Four-Thirds cameras. 12MP is a waste, as
far as I'm concerned. It's outdated.

I do edit at 100% pixels. Output sharpening is viewed at both 100% and
at 33%. Unlike some people, I really dislike "crunchy". Without
zooming in, we have no idea that we're getting halos and other
artifacts. What Bruce wrote was a good guideline, but definitely not
gospel. Especially, considering that your ability to understand what
is there is entirely dependent upon the resizing algorithm used by the
software for displaying the reduced image. I'm not that trusting and
for good reason.

When studying what a lens or imaging system is doing, you really do
need to view the file at 100%. If there is fringing, aberrations and
so forth you may never see them at 33%. Which brings up the argument
that the 300ppi requirement is a myth anyway.

;)

AG