[OM] Ken's 50s ("Re: Big Chomp No Chew")

Subject: [OM] Ken's 50s ("Re: Big Chomp No Chew")
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 07:10:29 -0500
On Tue, Mar 27, 2012, at 03:23 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
> The 50s were the latest/best versions. I think what I'm seeing is that
> for closer focusing, the 50/1.8 is very much out of its league. At
> wider apertures, the lens just renders out of focus details in a "wild
> seas" look. Straight out of "Deadliest Catch". However, stop it down
> more or move farther away from the subject and the 50/1.8 is a very
> fine lens. It does seem to be optimized for longer distances. The
> 50/1.4 produces nicer bokeh up close and personal, but at longer
> distances it gets pretty rough. I'm intruigued by the 50/1.8 and am
> wondering if there is anywhere where it is better than the 50/1.4.
> Compared to older 1.4s, I'm sure it is, but not against the last ones
> in my testing so far.

I'll have to try some tests with the 50s I own on the antiquated and
irrelevant 5D.  You're a better man than I testing why you would carry
one over the other. I just have "impressions" based on a few photos I
have taken with each:

1) SC 50/1.8 -- helps to have sentimental attachment to SC lenses, but
not worth too much except for silver nose
2) MC 50/1.8 -- mine is MIJ version -- great landscape lens at f11 and
f16
3) SC 50/1.4 -- had one of these and let it go and later regretted it.
I thought blur was pretty good at its near focus limit and had
attractive contrast (meaning lower rather than higher)
4) MC 50/1.4 -- would be fine if I had not had MC 50/1.8 and if I hadn't
used the SC 50/1.4 -- a ho-hum for me
5)    50/1.2 -- simply makes me want to shoot at 50mm more;  same class
of lens as the 100/2 (that's my hypothesis at least);  makes 12 MP
almost relevant

> Another thing I've been noticing over and over again is the apparant
> focus shift as the aperture is closed down in comparing the lenses.

Now that is something I don't want to hear!  My focus chip on the OM-EOS
adapter works to f8, but I use f11 and f16 a lot.

Joel W.