Re: [OM] Big Chomp No Chew

Subject: Re: [OM] Big Chomp No Chew
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 18:38:21 -0500
> Further, in Ken's case, he is juggling work, family and many other time
> commitments with trying to keep Zone-10 going.

No kidding! I really don't know how long I can keep this pace. Zone-10
gets whatever I can give it these days, but only once everything else
is done and out of the way. Well, not always. Sometimes, I look out
the window, see the warm sun and just go play hookie for an hour or
two.

> So he sometimes tosses up an image from whatever project he is working on,
> adds some slightly stilted and/or bombastic
> words about how great some OM thingie or other is, and moves on.

As long as everybody understands the context of my bombastic words...
I gotta go all Rockwellian on you guys once in a while. Sometimes it's
a tweak, sometimes it's just joy, sometimes it's just keeping the
flames burning. Jay Leno drives around in old classic cars--I shoot
classic cameras.

> downsampling will too often blow some highlights

I suspect what happened is that during the editing process I moved the
highlights up a ways to get a little crisper of a look. Frankly, I
don't know what else to do in this case as the flowers really have no
texture or patterns that are missed. At least not any that the E-1
could capture. It's part of my own style that is influenced by
shooting B&W where I like to top and tail my image's dynamic range.

> I looked, absorbed what was there for me and, lacking anything on point to
> contribute, moved on.

And I'm not offended in the least when you choose to do something or
ignore it either. At least you looked. I thank you for that. I don't
always comment on other people's work, either.

> Sometimes I do have an opinion that I would like to share. So with the blue
> grain bin, I did comment on how I prefer it in B&W.

My own preference was for the color version this week. We'll see what
the B&W film version did with it. I'm sure that will change me over. I
was intruiged by the colors, but the B&W version is all about the
patterns. When I converted the digital image to B&W, the image took on
a too familiar look. It was kinda the Pizza Hut of images--not very
good, but predictable.

AG